Wednesday, September 06, 2006

About this blog - Revised

This blog started out as a tribute to the late Alan Watts, whose lectures on Eastern Wisdom have intrigued listeners for decades. He has certainly inspired me to continue to investigate the nature of the self, existence, right & wrong, and what it means to be 'realized' or 'enlightened' or 'free'.

My course of study has led me to some new territory. Where I still partially rely on Watts to keep my intellectual and existential inquires grounded, I have also learned a great deal from other sources as well. I have decided to incorporate what I have learned from others into the format of my posts. I imagine I may also contribute some of my own unique understanding - if there is such a thing. Thank you for dropping by.

-awouldbehipster

::: Original Post :::

I began listening to lectures by Alan Watts at the start of this year. Since then I have been fascinated with the ideas that he so effortlessly conveys. He never claimed to be enlightened, nor did he claim to be a Guru that could lead a person to spiritual fulfillment. He simply taught his listeners to consider another perspective (or two... or three) in order to better understand their own perspective.

I formed this blog as a tribute to the late Alan Watts and his creative teachings. I will be posting quotes, links to audio lectures, and my own commentary on his ideas. Please feel free to comment. I would love to engage in some good dialogue about Watts and what he had to say.

2 Comments:

Blogger mangadezi-jr said...

My kids and I just finished reading "The Book" about a month ago-- my 11-year-old might be a tad too young, but the 14-year-old and I had some interesting discussions around Watts' writings. I may be Eastern by birth, but I'm pretty much Western by upbringing--I love the way Watts was able to convey Hindu and Buddhist thought to Westerners like myself . . . ; )

11:53 AM  
Blogger jackson said...

mangadezi,

thanks for the comment. I have yet to ready "The Book", but I am very familiar with the content. I can imagine that it would be interesting to read with a teenager.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home